During a random YouTube binge I ran across an old school gem: Going Back to Cali by LL Cool J. As I watched the video two things happened:
1. I was able to recognize a lot of places in LA – rad!
2. It hit me that this video was made in 1989 and the fashion in it is pretty similar to what we’re wearing now.
Here are four pieces I think will be timeless – ok let’s be real, these are four pieces I hope will never go out of style.
- Stripes: I LOVE stripes, and have loved them for as long as I can remember. They are so versatile : with white shorts and sperry’s they’re the perfect touch to a Hampton’s inspired outfit – with a tight black skirt, suede pumps and attitude you are ready to turn heads at any upscale lounge – or throw a striped shirt on under a boyfriend blazer, with dark skinny’s, and quilted flats, voila you are work place chic!
- Wayfarers: Classic. So classic that any age, shape, height, or outfit can be topped off with a pair of these. I’ve worn them with sweats and then with a dress/heels. I’ve seen every one from tweens to senior citizens rock these shades and frankly, they look out of sight (a little phrase I picked up from one of my 80 yr old great aunts at Thanksgiving).
- Tall boots: In Cali people wear boots year round – it’s strange but when hobo-chic is the city’s signature style you tend to adjust. In the summer, tall boots look killer with a print dress and a jean vest, in the winter, pull them over a tights and toss on a warm baggy sweater…love.love.love.
- Big fat gold watch: I know gold goes through phases when it’s really classy and then really tacky – I’m praying to the fashion Gods that it stays classy for at least another 10 years! I’m a firm believer that a bold time piece is the finishing piece to any ensemble. In the Going Back to Cali video, LL Cool J’s watch is sooooo gaudy but soooo bold!
$225 – yoox.com
Knee high heel boots »